Please note: *All patterns are in English only. If you wish to make a few bags or hats from Charlie’s Aunt sewing patterns or books to sell, please read the rules in the "additional information" section of our policies page.
This is a PDF sewing pattern for the Dunwich Bag, influenced by the sleek curves of both 1940s and 1960s shoulder bags. This style features an inset front panel, and button tab trim on the elegant rectangular flap. It can be made with two or three co-ordinating fabrics and looks equally good in traditional wool tweeds and retro printed canvas/linen fabrics.
Dunwich features an internal zippered pocket and a patch pocket. This style is named after a village with a fascinating history, set in the wonderful Suffolk ‘coasts and heaths’ area of outstanding natural beauty.
The finished dimensions of the bag are: Height 11” (28cm), width 14” (35cm) at widest point, base width approx. 3” (8cm).
For the “Dunwich Bag” there are 19 pages—11 pages including the cover, general, cutting out and step-by-step instructions, and 8 pattern sheets with the templates, which you must print and cut out. All templates are actual size and all seam allowances are included. Four of the templates are too big to fit on one page and therefore must be cut out and joined together with tape at the dashed lines, matching symbols where indicated. Instructions for this are clear.
½ yard (50cm) of 60” (154cm) width or ¾ yard (65cm) of 44” (112cm) width main exterior fabric
12” x 20” ((32cm x 52cm) piece of contrast fabric
1 yard (96cm) of 44” (112cm) width or ½ yard (50cm) of 44” (112cm) lining fabric
1¼” yard (115cm) of 36” (92cm) width fusible interfacing
2/3 yard (60cm) of 28” (72cm) width foam stabiliser
40” x 5” (105cm x 14cm) approx. of fusible web
Piece of plastic canvas 4.5” x 11” (12cm x 28cm) for bag base
1 magnetic snap
1 button (approx. 30mm diameter maximum) to trim flap tab
7” (18cm) zipper for interior pocket
For purchased handle:
Long leather or vinyl strap 1” (25mm) wide and approx. 38” (92cm) long including rings
Piece of fusible web approx. 4” x 4” (10 x 10cm) for tabs to attach strap
You will also need:
Sticky tape (to join pattern templates)
Fabric marker pen, pencil or chalk
Thread to match fabric
Please note that this is an INSTANT DOWNLOAD PDF pattern and NOT a paper pattern. Once your payment has been accepted, a ‘download’ button will appear and you will be able to download the pattern straight away.
If you have any problems accessing the pattern, please send us a message. Please remember to include your email address.
Please check our policies for copyright information.
All orders must be paid for using credit card or Paypal at time of purchase. Contact us if you experience a problem with payment. If there is no payment or contact within 3 days of purchase, your order will be cancelled and the item re-listed.
Refunds and exchanges:
There are no refunds on PDF or paper patterns because of the nature of the product.
All orders must be paid for using Paypal or credit card. Please pay at time of purchase. Contact us if you experience a problem with payment. If there is no payment or contact within 3 days of purchase, your order will be cancelled and the item re-listed.
PayPal is the best way to pay because it allows you to pay with a credit card without signing up for an account.
We also now accept direct credit card payments.
Your files will be available to download once payment is confirmed.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Refunds and exchanges:
There are no refunds on PDF patterns, paper patterns and kits because of the nature of the products. Please choose carefully.
Important Copyright Information:
Although all of my patterns and books are covered by the copyright and patents act, I realise that several of my customers would like to be able to make a few items from my patterns to sell, so I have decided to allow it again, as long as they stick to the following rules:
* Make no more than 10 bags in a year to sell from any one Charlie’s Aunt pattern, and up to a MAXIMUM of 40 bags in total from a combination of any of my patterns in a year. Please don’t make any more than this – I have more than 20 different sewing patterns and it simply wouldn't be fair to buy 15 and make 10 of each, because you would be adopting my entire concept that way. If you intend to make any more than 40 in a year, this would be deemed a big business and would be totally against the rules. Please respect this!
* Write on each swing ticket and in all Etsy/online descriptions the following words: “This bag was made using a Charlie’s Aunt sewing pattern designed by Emma Brennan”. A link to my Etsy shop would also be greatly appreciated. Please don’t put your own designer labels in my designs – that isn’t fair!
* Please have the courtesy to drop me a line to ask if you can make the bags to sell. This way I can keep track of who’s doing what and I can hopefully persuade you to share photos of the bags you make on the Charlie’s Aunt Facebook site.
* All items for sale must be handmade by you. Contracting with others to mass produce Charlie’s Aunt designs is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
* Distribution of the pattern pieces and corresponding instructions is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Please do not copy my patterns in any way. The words, diagrams and pictures are covered by copyright and I will pursue anyone who infringes this.
* Finally, please be respectful my designs and policies. Being allowed to make a limited number of bags from my patterns to sell is a privilege and not a right.
Please email me at email@example.com if you have any questions
The PDF patterns contain instructions, illustrations, photographs and pattern templates for one style of bag, purse or fashion accessory. The templates are full size and can be printed on A4 paper, but some templates need to be joined together with tape because they are too big to fit on one page. All patterns contain detailed instructions on how to cut and join pattern templates.
When you complete an order in our Etsy shop, you will be asked for your name, address, and email address. We require your name and address for delivering your order if it is not a PDF pattern and your email address to email you a copy of your order and let you know your order has been dispatched or is available to download.
When you reach checkout, you will be given the choice of paying by PayPal or by credit/debit card. We do not see or have access to this information as it is processed by a secure banking merchant. If you have a PayPal account, all of your information is already held by PayPal.
The information recorded by Etsy and accessible by us is name, address and an email address plus your method of payment (ie card or PayPal, but not the details). We also record what you ordered and how much you paid. This information is deleted after 36 months.
We never pass information to any other business and never have done. We do not contact you directly by email for marketing purposes and only get in touch if you have requested something from us.
It is necessary for us to ensure that you give consent to the above use of your data by ticking the correct boxes at checkout.