This listing is for a copy of the original hardback version of my first and best-selling book Making Vintage Bags. I can also sign the book and write a message in it if you wish.
The book contains 20 of my original design sewing patterns for bags, drawing inspiration from the elegance, glamour and sophistication of the styles of the 1920s, 30s, 40s and 50s – five projects reflecting each era. In addition, there is a purse pattern so that any of the bags in the book can be enhanced with a pretty matching purse. Photographs shown here are all of projects in the book.
Patterns for all of the bags are included in the book with seam allowances already added, so all you have to do is enlarge them on a photocopier and cut them out. Although the idea of enlarging the templates might seem a bit of a pain, the instructions make it very simple. Providing the templates in this format made it possible for me to include all of the pattern pieces and for me to incorporate larger sized bags while still working within the publisher’s guidelines (the standard page size of a craft book is not very big)!
Making Vintage Bags also contains heaps of useful information on handles, (ranging from folded and stitched to bead and wire, bangle handles and purchased rope), fabric and interfacing choices, embellishments and easy fastenings including zippers and magnetic snaps, all illustrated with clear step-by-step photographs. This book has now sold more than 30,000 copies. It is a good volume for providing practical advice and inspiration to any would-be handbag designers with a passion for vintage.
All orders must be paid for using Paypal, or personal cheques and money orders in the UK. Please pay at time of purchase. Contact us if you experience a problem with payment. If there is no payment or contact within 3 days of purchase, your order will be cancelled and the item re-listed.
Refunds and exchanges:
Sorry, there can be no refunds on this book because it contains patterns for all of the bags.
Please note that this listing is for a hardback book which will be posted to you at the address provided by Etsy unless otherwise stated. Because it is quite heavy and therefore very expensive to post overseas, I am currently only sending books to people who live in the UK. If you are anywhere else in the world and would like a book, please contact me for shipping costs.
After I receive payment, your book will be posted within one week. All books are sent via first-class mail in the UK. Insurance and/or alternative shipping methods are available on request but at extra cost. Our office hours are Tuesday to Saturday and most of our posting is done on Tuesdays or Thursdays. Shipping to addresses in the UK is £3.00
If you want the book to be signed or if you would like a message to be written inside, please put the wording you would like in the book in the note to seller box at checkout.
All orders must be paid for using Paypal or credit card. Please pay at time of purchase. Contact us if you experience a problem with payment. If there is no payment or contact within 3 days of purchase, your order will be cancelled and the item re-listed.
PayPal is the best way to pay because it allows you to pay with a credit card without signing up for an account.
We also now accept direct credit card payments.
All printed paper patterns, fabrics, buttons and kits will be sent out by first class mail, usually within 48 hours of receiving your order. Overseas orders are sent by first class international air mail. If you want special posting options or insurance, please convo us for details and prices.
PDF patterns are either available by instant download or are emailed to the email address in your etsy profile. If you would like it sent to another address please specify the email address in the "message to seller" box at checkout. PDF patterns are emailed within 48-hours of your completed payment.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Refunds and exchanges:
There are no refunds on PDF patterns, paper patterns and kits because of the nature of the products. Please choose carefully.
Important Copyright Information:
Although all of my patterns and books are covered by the copyright and patents act, I realise that several of my customers would like to be able to make a few items from my patterns to sell, so I have decided to allow it again, as long as they stick to the following rules:
* Make no more than 10 bags in a year to sell from any one Charlie’s Aunt pattern, and up to a MAXIMUM of 40 bags in total from a combination of any of my patterns in a year. Please don’t make any more than this – I have more than 20 different sewing patterns and it simply wouldn't be fair to buy 15 and make 10 of each, because you would be adopting my entire concept that way. If you intend to make any more than 40 in a year, this would be deemed a big business and would be totally against the rules. Please respect this!
* Write on each swing ticket and in all Etsy/online descriptions the following words: “This bag was made using a Charlie’s Aunt sewing pattern designed by Emma Brennan”. A link to my Etsy shop would also be greatly appreciated. Please don’t put your own designer labels in my designs – that isn’t fair!
* Please have the courtesy to drop me a line to ask if you can make the bags to sell. This way I can keep track of who’s doing what and I can hopefully persuade you to share photos of the bags you make on the Charlie’s Aunt Facebook site.
* All items for sale must be handmade by you. Contracting with others to mass produce Charlie’s Aunt designs is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
* Distribution of the pattern pieces and corresponding instructions is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Please do not copy my patterns in any way. The words, diagrams and pictures are covered by copyright and I will pursue anyone who infringes this.
* Finally, please be respectful my designs and policies. Being allowed to make a limited number of bags from my patterns to sell is a privilege and not a right.
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions
The PDF patterns contain instructions, illustrations, photographs and pattern templates for one style of bag, purse or fashion accessory. The templates are full size and can be printed on A4 paper, but some templates need to be joined together with tape because they are too big to fit on one page. All patterns contain detailed instructions on how to cut and join pattern templates.
When you complete an order in our Etsy shop, you will be asked for your name, address, and email address. We require your name and address for delivering your order if it is not a PDF pattern and your email address to email you a copy of your order and let you know your order has been dispatched or is available to download.
When you reach checkout, you will be given the choice of paying by PayPal or by credit/debit card. We do not see or have access to this information as it is processed by a secure banking merchant. If you have a PayPal account, all of your information is already held by PayPal.
The information recorded by Etsy and accessible by us is name, address and an email address plus your method of payment (ie card or PayPal, but not the details). We also record what you ordered and how much you paid. This information is deleted after 36 months.
We never pass information to any other business and never have done. We do not contact you directly by email for marketing purposes and only get in touch if you have requested something from us.
It is necessary for us to ensure that you give consent to the above use of your data by ticking the correct boxes at checkout.