Please note: If you wish to make a few bags from Charlie’s Aunt sewing patterns or books to sell, please read the rules in the "additional information" section of our policies page.
This PDF SEWING PATTERN inspired by the styles of the early 1940s includes templates and instructions to make view 1 of our popular Home Front Bag printed pattern. This practical day bag combines a useful size and shape with unusual flap detailing, influenced by the military styling popular during the war years.
The Home Front Bag is constructed with box corners to give a wide flat base. A template for an interior patch pocket is included in the pattern. Home Front Bag measures approx 14” (36cm) wide x 10” (26cm) high x 5” (13cm) deep at the base.
This PDF pattern has 13 pages – 6 pages including photographs, detailed instructions and illustrations, plus 7 pages of full sized pattern templates which you must print on letter (A4) paper and cut out. As some of the templates are too large to fit on one sheet, you must tape the templates together where shown. Instructions for this are very clear.
½ yard (50cm) of fabric 1
½ yard (50cm) of fabric 2
½ yard (50cm) of lining fabric
½ yard (50cm) of firm sew-in interfacing (and of optional batting)
½ yard (50cm) of fusible interfacing
Plastic canvas or similar for bag base
1 metal ring for handle
2 vintage buttons
1 magnetic snap set
You will also need:
Fabric marker pen, pencil or chalk
Thread to match fabric
Please note that this is a PDF pattern and NOT a paper pattern. Only view 1 of the Home Front printed pattern is included in this PDF.
Once your payment has been accepted, a download button will appear and you will be able to download the pattern straight away. If you have any problems accessing the pattern, please convo me and I will email it to you instead. Please remember to include your email address. We endeavour to get PDF patterns emailed to your specified email address within 24 hours of payment.
Please check our policies for copyright information.
All orders must be paid for using Paypal or credit card. Please pay at time of purchase. Contact us if you experience a problem with payment. If there is no payment or contact within 3 days of purchase, your order will be cancelled and the item re-listed.
PayPal is the best way to pay because it allows you to pay with a credit card without signing up for an account.
We also now accept direct credit card payments.
Your files will be available to download once payment is confirmed.
Just contact me within: 14 days of delivery
Ship items back to me within: 30 days of delivery
But please contact me if you have any problems with your order.
Because of the nature of these items, unless they arrive damaged or defective, I can't accept returns for:
Refunds and exchanges:
There are no refunds on PDF patterns, paper patterns and kits because of the nature of the products. Please choose carefully.
Important Copyright Information:
Although all of my patterns and books are covered by the copyright and patents act, I realise that several of my customers would like to be able to make a few items from my patterns to sell, so I have decided to allow it again, as long as they stick to the following rules:
* Make no more than 10 bags in a year to sell from any one Charlie’s Aunt pattern, and up to a MAXIMUM of 40 bags in total from a combination of any of my patterns in a year. Please don’t make any more than this – I have more than 20 different sewing patterns and it simply wouldn't be fair to buy 15 and make 10 of each, because you would be adopting my entire concept that way. If you intend to make any more than 40 in a year, this would be deemed a big business and would be totally against the rules. Please respect this!
* Write on each swing ticket and in all Etsy/online descriptions the following words: “This bag was made using a Charlie’s Aunt sewing pattern designed by Emma Brennan”. A link to my Etsy shop would also be greatly appreciated. Please don’t put your own designer labels in my designs – that isn’t fair!
* Please have the courtesy to drop me a line to ask if you can make the bags to sell. This way I can keep track of who’s doing what and I can hopefully persuade you to share photos of the bags you make on the Charlie’s Aunt Facebook site.
* All items for sale must be handmade by you. Contracting with others to mass produce Charlie’s Aunt designs is STRICTLY PROHIBITED.
* Distribution of the pattern pieces and corresponding instructions is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Please do not copy my patterns in any way. The words, diagrams and pictures are covered by copyright and I will pursue anyone who infringes this.
* Finally, please be respectful my designs and policies. Being allowed to make a limited number of bags from my patterns to sell is a privilege and not a right.
Please email me at email@example.com if you have any questions
The PDF patterns contain instructions, illustrations, photographs and pattern templates for one style of bag, purse or fashion accessory. The templates are full size and can be printed on A4 paper, but some templates need to be joined together with tape because they are too big to fit on one page. All patterns contain detailed instructions on how to cut and join pattern templates.
When you complete an order in our Etsy shop, you will be asked for your name, address, and email address. We require your name and address for delivering your order if it is not a PDF pattern and your email address to email you a copy of your order and let you know your order has been dispatched or is available to download.
When you reach checkout, you will be given the choice of paying by PayPal or by credit/debit card. We do not see or have access to this information as it is processed by a secure banking merchant. If you have a PayPal account, all of your information is already held by PayPal.
The information recorded by Etsy and accessible by us is name, address and an email address plus your method of payment (ie card or PayPal, but not the details). We also record what you ordered and how much you paid. This information is deleted after 36 months.
We never pass information to any other business and never have done. We do not contact you directly by email for marketing purposes and only get in touch if you have requested something from us.
It is necessary for us to ensure that you give consent to the above use of your data by ticking the correct boxes at checkout.